For the past few years, on my birthday (or around my bday as the hot tubbing requirements may necessitate), I contemplate on the life lessons from the previous 365 days. This year was incredible. I have learned some amazing lessons and I am going to share my 28th one tomorrow. But now, I’ll give you my previous 27.
Please share your big life lessons in the comments and maybe I can switch out a few.
- Follow the Spirit.
- Go to bed every night knowing God a little better than the night before.
- Never finish a prayer until you feel God’s love.
- Study the scriptures to teach something daily.
- Confidence is based on who you really are–nothing else.
- Leadership is an organized opportunity to help the world and you grow.
- Distill every institution, activity and program down to love.
- One soul is a good enough reason.
- If you don’t think you can change the world, then change someone’s world. Don’t underestimate the power of one–namely, you.
- Keep your priorities focused on the eternal.
- Serve until you love.
- If you have to wonder if they can feel your love, express it.
- Godly sorrow is knowing that Christ suffered because of you and not just for you.
- There is ALWAYS a reason to rejoice.
- Do what you say you will do, when you say you will do it…and try to do a little more.
- If you feel stressed, stop. Think. What can you do to fix the problem? If there is nothing you can do, then pray. If there is something you can do, then do it. If you ever forget this rule, just go under the stars for 5 minutes.
- Expectations for other should be to try; expectations for yourself should be perfect love.
- Women bear children, men open doors.
- Do what the best version of you would do.
- There is a way to do things, and there is the way to get things done.
- The proverbial “self” is not found or discovered–it is created.
- Dream big and live smart, but don’t let others’ invented limitations dictate what constitutes “smart.”
- Live life sincerely.
- Keep your heart open to real love, for love liberates hope.
- Seek business partners who display three attributes consistently: innovation, communication and dependability-ation.
- Work smart, work hard and know that, in the end, success is given to you.
- You are what’s worth it. And while you have a ways to go, you are doing better than you think. In a life filled with dreams broken by ‘just about’s and ‘almost’s and ‘sort of’s and ‘would have been’s…know that you, yes…even you–especially you, are worth being loved. Jeffrey R. Holland, “No one of us is less treasured or cherished of God than another. He loves each of us – insecurities, anxieties, self-image, and all.”
So lesson 28 coming tomorrow. I’m so excited to share…it has been a long time coming. (well…at least a year)