Every year, on my birthday I contemplate on the life lessons from the previous 365 days. I have learned some amazing lessons this last year and I am going to share my 31st this week–but for now, I’ll give you my previous 30.
While this might not be amazingly insightful or new to you or ‘old man on a park bench’ wise, these lessons have shaped everything that I am and everything I try to be.
….and I can’t wait to learn more!
Please share your big life lessons in the comments.
- Follow the Spirit.
- Go to bed every night knowing God a little better than the night before.
- Never finish a prayer until you feel God’s love.
- Study the scriptures to teach something daily.
- Confidence is based on who you really are–nothing else.
- Leadership is an organized opportunity to help the world and you grow.
- Distill every institution, activity and program down to love.
- One soul is a good enough reason.
- If you don’t think you can change the world, then change someone’s world. Don’t underestimate the power of one–namely, you.
- Keep your priorities focused on the eternal.
- Serve until you love.
- If you have to wonder if they can feel your love, express it.
- Godly sorrow is knowing that Christ suffered because of you and not just for you.
- There is ALWAYS a reason to rejoice.
- Do what you say you will do, when you say you will do it…and try to do a little more.
- If you feel stressed, stop. Think. What can you do to fix the problem? Time, Money, or Effort? If there is nothing you can do, then pray. If there is something you can do, then do it. If you ever forget this rule, just go under the stars for 5 minutes.
- Expectations for other should be to try; expectations for yourself should be perfect love.
- Women bear children, men open doors.
- Do what the best version of you would do.
- There’s the way things have been done, and the way to get things done. Choose the latter.
- The proverbial “self” is not found or discovered–it is created.
- Dream big and live smart, but don’t let others’ invented limitations dictate what constitutes “smart.”
- Live life sincerely.
- Keep your heart open to real love, for love liberates hope.
- Seek business partners who display three attributes consistently: innovation, communication and dependability-ation.
- Work smart, work hard and know that, in the end, success is given to you.
- You are what’s worth it. And while you have a ways to go, you are doing better than you think. In a life filled with dreams broken by ‘just about’s and ‘almost’s and ‘sort of’s and ‘would have been’s…know that you, yes…even you–especially you, are worth being loved.
- If you want to see the hand of God, Look. If you want to hear the voice of God, listen. If you want to feel the love of God, serve.
- Elevate your faith above your circumstances.
- Love is a choice.